Monday, April 27, 2009

Beyonce' and me



Holy Smokes, I'm into pop culture. Not only do I know sort of who Beyonce is, I have heard her sing 2 songs and liked them both. The cover for "At Last" that Ella James claims to own but was in fact a 1941 song written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren for the musical film Orchestra Wives, starring George Montgomery and Ann Rutherford. It was first performed in the film and on record by Glenn Miller and his orchestra, vocal by Ray Eberle and Pat Friday. The song was a major hit for Miller, reaching number 14 on the Billboard pop charts in 1942, and it soon became a standard. Nat King Cole recorded it in 1957 on his number one album Love Is the Thing. In 1960, it was covered by blues singer Etta James in a performance that improvised on Warren's melody. James was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999 for her rendition of the song.
But I digress. There is a video making the internet rounds of 100 single women singing and dancing in Picadilly circle in London. The song is by beyonce. Something about if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it. I'm a single lady might be the title. I loved it. One of those catchy tunes you can't get out of your head. Good grief, I'm an aging hippie. I thought all music stopped around 1975 or so. What an eye opener this was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you need to take the time to find her video of the song, its worth you time, as the whole world is imitating her performance in it. The best version I have seen was the gay guys rendition on Saturday night live a few months ago. Beachbabe